Feb 12, 2012

Encouragement

During my 11 mile run on Friday, I had plenty of time for thinking. As I run, I tend to think. I never run without music, so there’s a constant feed of musical notes and words into my brain. Yet, somehow, my brain shifts around those words, and begins to create its own thought patterns not related to the music. As I run, I began to think. School, church, girlfriend, family, friends, Bible stories, moments with God, etc. All kinds of random thoughts come to mind. One thing leads to another.
During my run on Friday, one word kept traveling through my brain.

Encouragement.

I am currently training for a full marathon this spring. I have done two half marathons. One in Sheboygan, one in Oshkosh. The last one I did was in Oshkosh. The weather was horrible. Cold, rainy/snowy, etc. The one thing that got me through the run was encouragement. Had it not been for the hundreds of people lining the streets throughout the course cheering us on, I probably wouldn’t have made it. Complete strangers looking me in the eye and yelling “Come on!” “You can do it!” “Great job!” “You’re almost there!” It was the cheers and support that gave my weak legs the motivation to keep moving.
When training for a full marathon, I often think about that encouragement. The feeling of crossing the finish line and having people cheering for me is unexplainable. They didn’t know me, but they applauded my efforts and accomplishments. When I’m running by myself for training, at times I think of those people cheering, and it gives me encouragement to keep running.

As I was reflecting on this, I began to think of the church. How common is it for me to give some encouragement for new believers? How often to I compliment a new saint in their walk with God? Do I give support to youth members that have been raised in church? It’s so necessary to give encouragement to the people in the body of Christ. That compliment might give them motivation to keep running the race they’re on. At times, they (we) get weak. A compliment just might do the trick to keep running in that weakness. Even a simple “Hey, how are you doing? Can I do anything to help you out?” or a “I just want to encourage you, you’re doing a great job with _____. Keep it up” is an easy way to make somebody’s day. Days later, that compliment might be the gasoline needed to keep moving with the tank feels weak. 


Give some encouragement. It may carry that person through their next battle. 

1 Corinthians 9:24
2 Timothy 4:7
Hebrews 12:1

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Seth. Thanks for the encouragement.

Kris A. NewMan said...

Seth, that is a fantastic truth! The saints in Bloomington often greet each other with, "I'm glad you're here!" That phrase had a profound impact on my life. Non-believers will know we are followers of Christ because we show love to one another. It may be easier to encourage people who we see behind us in the race, but it's just as important to encourage those beside us, before us... our peers, our elders. Beautiful words, Seth. Thanks for writing!

Mark Showalter said...

Awesome Seth! Love hearing about encouragement and becoming an encourager. We need more of them for the countless millions who are hurting and feel like they are completely without hope.