Jan 29, 2011

Brothers

This post is dedicated to my brother. Corey.

As I write this, I sit in his empty room.
It's different, really.

While reflecting on good times, I am reminded by how much we've been through together. I think about when we both wore fanny packs and thought we were awesome with our 1993 sunglasses. I think about when we argued about who would get shotgun (some things never change).
Know how some brothers are worst enemies? Not true with Corey and I. We're best friends.
I think about times like Jr. Camp, where we did the camp music together, teaching the kids music like they're rockstars.
I remember I remember times when we would sneak out of the house to get taco bell (again, some things never change).
I think about how many songs we've written together. I think about how many church services we've been together. How many times we've played music together. Countless hours spent practicing. Countless songs learned. Countless chords learned.
Corey can write songs like he's a poet, and can play drums like he's Carter Beauford.
I am honored every time I walk onto a platform, stage, or venue with him.
More than a musician, he's a true friend.

I remember times when we cried together until there were no more tears. What we thought was destroying our life, was actually turning us into men of God. I'm not sure who was more of an encourager, but we held each other up.
I remember a time when I would get irritated at him because he was ALWAYS Mario, and I was always Luigi. Good 'ol Nintendo 64. Or the endless games of Mario Kart wars. Or the endless games of Nintendo Madden football games.
Through all these times, I've grown closer to him. He's my best friend.

As I pass into this next phase of my life, I realize how different it will be in the house. He's moved out, into his own place. One of my favorite parts of Sunday mornings was hearing Corey sing in the shower. Just, classic. I know he's moved into the next phase of his life, marriage. Such a great time, I know. It's gonna be amazing to get to be around my future sister in law, Danielle, more and more. I love her to death, and I wish both of them the best in their lives together.

Corey, I love you. And I always will.

The following 10 things are facts of life.

1) Mom will cry when she reads this blog.
2) I don't think we'll ever have a "non-competitive" game of golf in our lives.
3) Your raps will never cease to bring pain to my abdominal region from laughter.
4) I don't care what you say, we won that ping pong tournament in high school. We got the T shirts.
5) You have 3 distinct phone voices.
6) Texting quotes, movie lines, song lyrics, and random junk is the most fun with you.
7) We're weird musicians sometimes. Just. Weird.
8) Your sermon "Carried To The Table" still rings in my ears.
9) You turned me Mac. And I haven't gone back.
10) I love you.

No comments: