May 5, 2010

Accountability

This is a key factor in a successful life. WIthout a doubt. Those who are accountable to others know one thing: they need those they are accountable to, and without them, they'd fail. I personally have 5 people in my life I am accountable to for various things. I keep in touch with some of them daily, some weekly. How can we continue walking in will of God with nobody to be accountable to? I'm not saying it's impossible to live without accountability, trust me, it's possible, but it makes everything 75% harder. I don't know how I could live without the people in my life that I answer to. That's just it, if you don't answer to anybody, you're free to do anything. Sounds like bliss. Sounds like a wreck waiting to happen. I'm not trying to say those who aren't accountable to anybody are bound to fail, but I am saying they have a greater chance of failure.

If you don't have anybody in your life that you answer to, that's a dangerous place to be. Friends and peers can be mutual accountability partners, but there is a level of mentorship when looking for an accountability partner. This person must be somebody you respect, somebody who can give spiritual leadership and guidance, and somebody you know will call you out when you need to be called out.

Find somebody to be accountable to. They don't have to be a pastor, they don't have to be somebody you see every day of your life. But you must be transparent with them. You must tell them everything. You must tell them when you fail. It takes a little bit of swallowing your pride to have a true accountability partner, because they know the true you. The you that fails. The you that isn't perfect. The you that most people don't see. The real you. This person must be trustworthy for obvious reasons.

If you don't have anybody in your life that you answer to, take advice from, and learn from, you need to find somebody.
I value those who have accountability in their life.
Take my advice, and start learning from somebody.

No comments: