May 4, 2010

show&tell

Music. Music to me is something very special. [understatement]
Music speaks when I don’t have the words to speak. When I am home alone, I sing. When I find myself without a response, I hum.
I can usually pick up a tune within seconds. Write a tune within minutes.
Songs on the other hand. Take time. I focus on lyrics more simply because they don’t come as natural to me as music does.
When I write lyrics, I focus on the music. What is the music saying? How can I mirror the reflections that the sound is producing?
But really, what am I trying to say? What is truly coming from my heart?
The lyrics are in some ways more important to me, not only because they take more time, but because I truly have to say exactly how I feel, exactly what I’m trying to portray.
I can’t just make something up like I can in music. I can’t hide behind the melody.
I can use the music as a mask. But words show my true colors.
The combination of the two is what I love, in the purest form.
This is one of the deepest parts of me. Music and song writing to me is intimate. It’s something that if taken lightly, hurts. If trodden upon, stings.
If accepted, it makes my world. If invokes change, perfection.
I struggle to portray the importance of this part of my life.
Many people don’t become a part of this section in my life simply because I’d rather not let it go to waste.
It’s the same reason some people don’t let people into their lives in general [if they don’t let in, they can’t get hurt].
Sure, people hear my songs. People have said they like my songs. But they haven’t heard all of them. Some songs are still unsung. Yet to be previewed.
Part of me wants to keep them on scratch paper, my phone, my brain, my computer, etc. Secret. Apart from criticism.
But the other part wants to show & tell. To go for it. To go all in. Give it my “A” game. But I lack knowledge in the “future” department, and can’t see the outcomes of life decisions.
So I guess we’ll wait and see.
I guess I’ll continue. Waiting. Without a clue of the outcomes of what’s been played out in my mind.

No comments: