May 3, 2011

In the Thoughts of the Disappointed

Osama Bin Ladin was killed. Yep. It happened.
Honestly, I was surprised he was still alive. I thought for sure he was just dead all these years and his body hadn't been found. So I guess he was alive. Now he's dead.
Call me unpatriotic all you want, but I'm saddened at how much rejoicing has been done.
Justice has been served.
A man who did much wrong is killed.
But rejoicing?
Dancing in the streets?
Death parties?
I don't understand America sometimes.
I'm not stupid. And I haven't forgot 9/11. I haven't forgot the many lives that have been lost.

...but rejoicing because of his death?

Let's look at scripture.

“Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him.” Proverbs 24:17-18 (NIV)

It's not okay to gloat when your enemy fails right? What about when your enemy dies?
Oh, he's a mass murderer, so it's ok.
He killed a lot of people and many people are dead because of him. So it's ok to rejoice?

Everyone is given a measure of grace. According to the Bible, at least.
What about murderers? Rapists? Car thief?
Is one sinner condemned to people judging them because their sin is worse? Of course not. That's ridiculous.
We wouldn't even consider allowing people to dance in the streets if a car thief was shot, but it's ok to rejoice in the streets when a murderer is killed?

I'm not unpatriotic. I'm just looking at the Bible as to what is grace, forgiveness, and mercy.
You see, we can't understand God's love. We judge people. We love them on what they do, say, and how they act.
His love is so hard to understand because of the way we treat our family, friends, co-workers, and strangers.
We don't love how God loves.
What would somebody say if I said that God loved Osama Bin Laden? Chances are, they'd laugh. But it's true.
Know why? Because God doesn't judge people based on their actions. I'm not doubting that God isn't pleased with some people's actions, but there's a difference.


“Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him.” Proverbs 24:17-18 (NIV)


No comments: